At least I feel like I got some work done in the garden this week. I had a lot more time I was able to spend out there, and started with mowing a lot of the tall grass and weeds down just so it was more manageable and I could see things better. I tilled and prepped a few beds, pulled a lot of weeds, and took down some ‘T’ posts and trellis stuff that needed to be moved.
I took probably the last of the Lettuce, Spinach, and Bok Choy, and cleared out the Bok Choy bed to be replanted. The Crawford Reseeding lettuce will be left to produce seeds for fall, and for sharing with the GMG. There might be some Oakleaf Lettuce coming, but we’ll see how it does.
I got 2 trees planted in the area where I decided to put the future orchard. I planted a Loquat, and a Rio Red Grapefruit. Hopefully, I hope to be adding several more this coming Fall or Winter.
Planted some Summer Squash from seed where the Broccoli was, both Yellow Straight Necks, and White Patty Pans.
Planted 16 Tomatillos, Purple, Aunt Molly, and Mexican Strain. The Purple Tomatillos are by far the best looking, and some of the others might not make it, if so, I will replace them with some Purple ones I have still in the greenhouse.
Planted all the sweet peppers I had, and as many hot peppers as I wanted, or maybe more… I still have about 6 rather anemic looking Charleston Hot peppers in the greenhouse, as well as a few Red Cheese, and Chili-de-Arbol, I really want to plant.
Planted the last 15 Tomatoes in the bed where I was going to plant 12. I wanted to have at least 2 of each variety, and that is what it took (plus I added in a 3rd Beaverlodge). Indigo Rose, Beaverlodge Plum, Black Icicle, Golden Treasure, Mariana F1, and Herrington Acres Cherry and Roma varieties went in this bed.
Saw the first slip from the sweet potato in the greenhouse early in the week, and now there are several. Saw the first Tomato turning red in the greenhouse, growing in a Solo cup, then it got too close to ripe, then I ate it and it was great… now I’m watching the 2 that were next to it…
Noticed what looks like Potato beetle damage, On many of the potatoes, but saw no beetles. Not sure what is eating the holes in the leaves.
Seeded Watermelon, Cantaloupe, Honeydew, more Pumpkins, as well as Summer and Winter Squash in pots in the greenhouse.
Then I decided to keep going, and planted Spineless Okra and Schronce’s Deep Black Peanuts in flats,
and put them on the heat pad. I’ll just run the heat over night, and when the temps are under 80 or so in there. I had 2 packets of Peanut seeds, and planted 1 in the flat – 42 viable looking seeds went in from 1 packet. There were several shriveled looking, not so viable appearing seeds I put in a pot just in case they were good.
Also seeded more Sweet Peppers in a flat –
Herrington Acres Bell and Banana Peppers. Put in about 80 seeds…
Plants in the Greenhouse:
- Winter Squash
- Meyer’s Lemon
- Misc herbs
To take a tour of the greenhouse from this week…
I’m just over 40 Chicks and Poults in the Aviary and Brooder combined. The Incubator is being kept full of Turkey and chicken eggs, it holds about 120 or so the way it’s set up now I think.
Worked on cleaning out the bed for some of the Eggplants, and worked on the area for the Okra. Most all of the Pumpkin starts I had in pots in the greenhouse went into the garden bed I was going to use for Okra, since it was ready, and they were, but the okra wasn’t. Early Sweet Sugar Pie, Full Moon, Fairytale, and Spookie are the varieties I planted out. a total of 16 or so plants. I still have Seminole pumpkins in the greenhouse.
Did lots of cleaning, and organizing in the greenhouse. Also transplanted the few Kohlrabi plants that were hanging around the greenhouse into the garden. I realize they are crazy late to get planted, but when the time is up, they will go with the others. I had empty spaces in there, so I stuck them in. Put a few remaining Broccoli into large pots, and we’ll see if they can produce there if I can keep them cool enough. Potted all the Cucumbers I had in the seed flat to make room for the Okra and Peanuts, then 2 days later decided to put them in the Pepper bed since it has a trellis for them to climb.
Looking at these pictures makes me realize how much there is still to do, but I know just how bad it was a few months ago, so I know I have made progress. Taking an overgrown garden area from a year of feral growth back to a garden again isn’t real easy. I realize this will take a couple growing seasons to get to the point I can deal with it, so I am forging ahead.
To see all the pics from the week.. http://ohlhausen.us/wp/2016/04/18/week-16-photo-gallery/